Tonsillectomy Recovery

Crying ManThere is a vast difference between having a tonsillectomy as a child and as an adult. Firstly, the older you are, the longer it takes the body to heal. Secondly, a child’s tonsils are much smaller than an adult’s and require much less skin to be removed. The larger adult tonsils tend to cause more trauma and pain. However, doctors do not completely understand why an adult experiences more subjective pain than a child. If you are about to have a tonsillectomy or have recently had your tonsils removed, you should expect moderate to severe discomfort and pain for at least two weeks, sometimes longer.

Immediately after the tonsillectomy operation you should not feel too much pain as you will still have the anaesthetic in your system. The pain usually starts to become very uncomfortable when you wake up the following day. Your recovery experience will depend a lot on how you plan for and manage the next two weeks. You should expect to have a mild to severely sore throat in the first two weeks. The throat pain will peak around days 7-11 when the scabs from the wound begin to fall off. You should also expect to lose some weight and feel hungry as you will not be able to follow your normal diet. Loss of taste, sore tongue, bad breath and jaw pain are also commonly reported after a tonsillectomy. Some people also experience mild to severe nausea after the operation due to the anaesthetic.

Your first challenge will be eating and drinking. The most important advice that anyone can give you about recovering from a tonsillectomy is to drink water. Unfortunately drinking water is extremely painful, especially when the throat is dry .e.g. when you first wake up. However, if you do not drink water, the throat becomes even drier and it is even more painful to drink water. You should keep a bottle of water close to you and sip it as often as you can.

Eating food is also very difficult. The most common food in the first few weeks is ice chips or ice lollies as they both hydrate your throat and numb it at the same time which is very soothing. Rough foods which scrape your throat are painful, yet some doctors recommend rough food as they say it will clean the wound and speed up your recovery. I strongly recommend that you talk to your doctor about your tonsillectomy recovery and find out what foods he or she recommends. Most people in the USA are told to eat soft foods for the first week or so until after the scabs have fallen off and then slowly progress to rougher foods. Popular soft foods are pasta, baby food, jell-o, soup, scrambled egg. Do not eat very acidic or spicy foods or sauces as these will cause pain e.g. tomato based sauces or anything with chillies in it.

You will notice that you develop a heavy grey/yellow/white membrane where the tonsils were removed. This is the scab that is protecting the area where you tonsils were removed. It will slowly go away as you heal. The greatest risk you face is hemorrhaging of the wound. This occurs when the wound opens up and begins to bleed. If it is a very small amount it is usually not a big concern, however if it is more, you need to get urgent medical attention. In all cases, you should contact your doctor immediately or get to the nearest emergency hospital. You should not worry too much about the likelihood of serious hemorrhaging during your tonsillectomy recovery period as less than 4% of people will actually experience it.

Man holding tonsils

Another area to focus on is your sleeping environment. You should plan to make this area as comfortable as possible as this is where you will be spending much of your recovery time. I strongly recommend buying or borrowing a humidifier as it can significantly aid in your tonsillectomy recovery. A humidifier will increase the humidity in air that you breathe and therefore aid in keeping your throat moist. Your sleeping cycle will almost certainly be affected by the medication you take and the pain you experience.Depending on the medication you are prescribed and the schedule for taking it, you may find yourself waking up when the medication begins to wear off and the pain increases.

Most people find themselves sleeping for between four and six hours at a time. It is generally a good idea to set an alarm to take your medication if you may be sleeping as this will also give you some time to drink some water.

Medication is critical during your tonsillectomy recovery. You can expect to be prescribed both a pain killer and anti-biotic. The anti-biotic is used to prevent or control any infection arising from the wound. The pain killers are obviously prescribed to help you manage the pain. You may be prescribed an opioid based pain killer which is very effective. Talk to your doctor and ask him exactly how often you should take your medication and the maximum you can take when the pain is severe.

Remember that after the scabs fall off around days 7-11, your recovery will be rapid. Don’t forget to drink water often and follow your medication schedule. If you have not yet had your tonsillectomy and are planning for it, go out now and buy yourself some of your favourite magazines, books etc. Even although the recovery period is quite short, it feels longer than it is and the more things you have to distract yourself with the better!

If you would like to know more about what to expect before, during and after your tonsillectomy, and exactly how to minimize the pain, have a look at the original Adult Tonsillectomy Survival Guide.

{ 3205 comments… read them below or add one }

Erin October 4, 2013 at 5:32 am

I am 31 years old and about to under go a tonsillectomy Nov. 1….Yay?!?! I am extremely nervous but my doc is concerned that if I do not have the surgery I will go septic. I feel prepared for the pain but I believe I am fooling myself. They told me 7-10 days to recover but I need to get back to work ASAP afterwards. I am employed in a doc’s office and I understand all the medical terms. But again I think I’m fooling myself. What is this mucus you all are talking about? Sounds delightful… :[ Can anyone give a firsthand run down on how this works. I also take meds from a doc that I HOPE I can still take post op, the pills are fairly small yet…plentiful. Words of wisdom?


Jackie October 4, 2013 at 7:47 am

Hello Erin!
I am 20 years old and on day 7 after my tonsillectomy. My surgeon said my tonsils were an 8 out of 10 for the nastiest ones he’s ever removed and they had A LOT of scar tissue. Naturally, he said it would lead to a longer, more painful recovery time. I have a high pain tolerance, but for some occasions he was right. The only pain for me is on the right side that resonates to my ear. The brunt of it is occurring now for me- days 4-9 post-op. In general, pain stays around 2-5 but would spike to 8-9 after 3-5 hours of sleeping or if something hit my scabs in the wrong way. Quick fixes for pain are ice packs, ice chips, or a very warm compresses (very helpful for ear pain!).
The mucus comes from dairy products. I have been dealing with clear mucus that likes to hang out in the sockets, I just keep a trash bin nearby and spit it out.
I am on Percocet and they are a little bigger than a SweetTart. For some reason they hurt going down, but the pain subsides after 5 minutes. Stay on top of your pain meds (every 4 or so hours for me), and do not be afraid to ask for more medication or a different medication. I was originally on Vicodin but it made me very nauseous, so the doctor gave me Zofran (the magical anti-nausea pill) .
Something I wish I would have started earlier were ice chips! They kill two birds with one stone: not only doing they feel good but they keep you hydrated. Hydration is key to a speedy recovery.
I can attribute my non-traumatic recovery thus far to two things: my mom/nurse/saint and a positive attitude. My momma has been a blessing taking care of me and boosting my spirits especially for the first 5 days. Everything little thing went a long way, preparing meals, refilling water and ice, going to the pharmacy, buying popsicles etc. I am planning on doing something lovely for her because she is a wonderful woman and she deserves it.
Going into the surgery I knew it was going to be a painful and scary process, but this is something I could control. A person’s mind will give up much faster than their body will. Mind over matter. It is easier to take the process one thing at a time and eventually it will all be over. As George Harrison said “all things must pass.” Knowing that and I would never have another tonsil-related illness again has kept me going strong =)
Tonsillectomies nowadays use methods that do not cause nearly as much bleeding as the old school ways.That means quicker recoveries! I am going back to college in 3 days, so within the 10 day recovery period =)
Let me know if you have any other questions – I was very conscious 30 minutes into post-op and remember everything.
Wish you the best!


Dave October 17, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I had mine done on the 4th October was back in hospital on 7th after waking up at 3 am with mouthful of blood!
Was kept in overnight and put on strong antibiotics!
The pain is horrendous and I suggest sleeping sitting up if you can
After 12 days I was taking no pain killers and seem to be nearly back to normal!

Good luck and hope for a quick recovery


Becky T October 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Hi All

Had mine out on Wednesday 16th on day 3/4, I’m 55. All pretty much as everyone has described I’ve been probably drinking too much hot tea and although it helps increases the secretions because of the milk in it. I’ve been sucking a lot of ice and having read this useful blog send hubby out for popsicles and gum.

Only taking paracetomol and ibobrufen (can’t really have too many anti-inflammatories because of previous stomach problems. The pain is bad and looks like I have more to come when the scabs come off!! I have been eating as normal food as possible (it’s strongly advised here in the UK). I can’t eat too much at once so I think little and often is probably best. Eaten a lot of toast, had a scotch egg, bread, for lunch having a casserole for dinner with mash. The nurse from my practice advised mild salt gargles in warm water and these do help, they help keep the site clean as well. I guess some of the old remedies can be the best.

By far the biggest problem on top of the severe pain has been complete lack of sleep haven’t really slept for longer than a couple of hours since I had it done with the pain and everything seems worse in the night and more painful. I feel very weak and exhausted but have tried pottering about today. Talking does help I think as it keeps everything moving!

I had co-codomol in hospital (they kept me in over night as I had it done late afternoon) and yes they affected my bowels even after only taking them for a day, so I’m going to try and get through on the paracetomol which really has no side affects.

My tongue was horrendous, so swollen and ulcerated and this scared me as no one really tells you why, again the nurse at GP’s explained it’s because they clamp your tongue out the way when they do it. I also had the scope down and 5 other biopsies from various bits so neck, chin etc. was very painful, swollen but this seems to be improving. I think a small bit of scab came off today, pain was slightly different more I would describe as very sharp stinging.

Good news post op they said it all looked ok (crossing everything) and that they think the lesion I had on my tonsil is some kind of viral wart although apparently they can turn nasty so its best having them removed.


Rachel October 14, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I am 24 and just had both tonsils and adenoids removed 8 days ago I have had good days and bad I suggest a humidifier and also listen when they say lots of water because it helps but I will be honest it’s not the sore throat that hurts its the ear aches and the pain in the jaw that really will make you go crazy I sleep for about three hours at a time everything is healing good but now I’m getting a burning sensation when I drink I believe it’s because I have acid reflux and have not takin my meds for it I fill a bottle with spit every other day don’t sallow this get it out and expect it to be stringy and white like its normal well I know it all sounds gross but if I had to do it all over again I would ! Hope it goes well and god bless


personalized football jerseys October 18, 2013 at 2:30 am

I believe more grateful to give an opportunity me being a member ?nside your forum and even share it post with me at night. You have to aquire involved at a competition for one of the more useful websites via the internet. I’d i think totally indicate this very good site! Aside from that, I noted you on my Facebook webpage, with any specific luck, that’s nice!


orquesta san vicente October 18, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Hello colleagues, its wonderful piece of writing concernijng
educationand entirely explained, keep it upp all the time.


sorbent sypki October 18, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I’ve been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours nowadays, yet I never discovered
any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is beautiful
value enough for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made
excellent content material as you probably did, the web will probably be much more helpful than ever before.


Cara Lopez October 21, 2013 at 11:20 am

Hello. I’ve just gotten my tonsillectomy October 15 and I didn’t expect the pain to be that bad but it sure does hurt a lot! The surgeon also didn’t tell me that she was going to suture me up. I couldn’t even drink water or open my mouth or it would hurt really bad. My uvula was super huge and I just felt it dangle on my tongue. It almost made me throw up because it felt weird. I couldn’t sleep on my back or I’d choke, so it’s best to sleep sitting up or on your side. I also think I might have ripped my stitches on my left side open…. Oh, and it hurts to talk or laugh. I only eat soup and drink plenty of ice water. I’m also ALWAYS hungry. My husband is great help though. About 2 days ago is when my ear pain started and it hurts when anyone talks to me. So now I like silence. Pain meds work wonders but I hate sleeping all the time but if I didn’t have it I’d cry. Don’t eat wonton soup though cuz it hurts going down. I can only drink the broth. Even eating ramen hurts.


Elijah Perry October 24, 2013 at 3:45 am

Hey all, I just had my tonsils removed on the 18th, so I thought I would add my experience to the collection.

I was scheduled to be at the hospital at 7:15 AM, got there at 6:45 and didn’t go under the knife (laser?) until about 9 AM. Be prepared to get very hungry. I was nervous about anesthesia, as I’ve never had surgery and don’t much like the idea of somebody inducing a break in my consciousness, but they give you a mild sedative in the prep room and it kept me from freaking out. The anesthesia burned in my arm, but I remember feeling that for only a few seconds before completely passing out cold.

I felt like I woke up almost immediately after going under, but it was actually about 11 AM. The nurse monitored my vitals for 30 minutes or so and then sent me to get some food. They offered jello, applesauce, and an ice pop, to which I said “yes please.” The pain was actually not bad at this point, maybe 4/10, and I sucked down all the food I could before accepting a percocet and checking out.

I relied very heavily on meds the first 4 days. I took 10 mg oxycodone every 4 hours and 1000 mg tylenol every 6 hours (took one too many doses for a couple days, but my liver is healthy). At the end of the 4th day, I realized that I had burned through about 45 out of 65 of my oxycodones, so I cut my dosages in half. I’m now taking 5 mg oxycodone and 500 mg tylenol every 4 hours. This was probably the worst time to lower my pain med dose. My throat has become very raw and has started bleeding very slightly, so the pain feels more intense on day 5 than it did previously, and I don’t think it’s simply because I lowered my pain meds.


- The pain isn’t as bad as you expect the first couple days.
- It gets much worse before it gets any better.
- My uvula was very swollen and blocked my airway if I laid down. Sleeping is a hassle until your throat heals, so plan to lay on a steep incline. Laying sideways helped a bit as well. Make sure you wake up on schedule to take pain meds. Trying to sleep through it is a huge mistake, and you will hate yourself when you wake up with no drugs in your system.
- Limit dairy intake, the mucus is not pleasant.


Andi December 7, 2013 at 10:00 am

I’m 25. I had my tonsils removed six days ago, so far I haven’t experienced excruciating, make you want to cry type of pain, but I’m so ready for it to be over. My biggest issue right now is the mucus, and I haven’t even had dairy. I have so much mucus and saliva, I’m spitting every second. I haven’t had a full night’s rest since the surgery, instead I sleep for 1 or 2 hours throughout the day. I definitely notice more pain upon waking. I have had moderate ear pain, and I haven’t had a bowel movement for 6 days, so I just drank a glass of prune juice. I’m hoping that helps. My diet consists of WATER and ICE (Keep yourself hydrated!), noodle soup, and green smoothies and juice. I’m so hungry for pasta. Im really worried about the coming days as I read days 7-10 are when it gets bad due to scabs falling off. My fingers are crossed that my recovery remains as it has been. It sucks, but I’m glad it hasn’t been as bad as I read. It’s almost 4am and I only slept about 40 minutes. I’m trying to avoid taking my pain medication (Lortab Elixir) until the morning, but I can feel the pain starting. Also my tongue hurts. I have a sore that is really painful.


Jaycee Formisano December 17, 2013 at 5:54 am

I am at the end of my fourth day of recovery, and let me tell you if i could go back i wouldn’t have had the surgery! I also had my uvula, soft pallet, and adenoids removed. My surgeon was a jerk and prescribed non-opiate based pain pills that have done absolutely nothing to aid in the relief of my pain. I spend eight hours in the hospital because the pain had become overwhelming and got to the point were i couldn’t swallow anything. I would discuss any other option then this surgery i was thrown into it like it was not a big deal! I am 23 year old male, and let me tell you if your surgeon will not give you liquid Vicodin or liquid Oxycontin your are screwed this is something you should discuss because i wouldn’t have followed through had he told me he was anti-opiates so end of day four no good pain pills and my pain is at a 20 on a scale of 1-10


Nikki August 2, 2014 at 5:43 am

I agree, I’m on day 7 post tonsillectomy and my doc gave me liquid hydrocodone/acetaminophen. The bottle was supposed to last three days with three refills but I went through a bottle a day. And rather than getting better each day it gets worse. Finally after using up my meds it called the office to let him know I was having to take a 20ml q 4 hrs…not 10ml q 6 hrs as the bottle directs. He then wrote me a scrip for the liquid roxicet 5-10mls q 4 hrs prn. This has helped a lot more. Eating hot soups and teas hurt tremendously as do Ice pops and ice water. I can drink very small sips of water at room temp. And now that the scabs are coming off any liquid going down feels like swallowing battery acid, and forget food all together. Days 1-3 I could eat soft foods at room temp like mashed potatoes and macaroni (macaroni being the least painful) and jello but since then I suddenly couldn’t even eat the soft foods without intense burning in my throat, deep in my ears and in my jaw..and let’s not forget the tongue pain-good lord! I give up on food, if I can just get 2 glasses of water in via tiny sips throughout the day I will feel accomplished. The pain at night an upon awakening makes me cry and rock back and forth like a crazy person. Honestly the intense pain is making me an emotional wreck and very annoying to be around . Good luck guys…I’m hoping i will look back at the end and say it was worth it but for now I’m just hating it


Allerie January 4, 2014 at 12:22 am

I’m 21 years old. Got my tonsils out December 27th. So today is day 8. I have been by myself most of this week. Nights, every night so far have been the most unbearable. I tried calling my parents to come get me last night before the shit storm because my doctor had told me that days 7-10 where going to be the most painful and the night before had been just awful. I couldn’t even imagine how much worse it could get. Needless to say I live 3 hours from my parents and they where unable to come and get me. I went to bed at about 830 because I was just to tired to fight it anymore. I woke up just a little before midnight from pain and it had been the four hours since I took my meds so I went to get another dosage. About 20 minutes after I took my dosage of pain meds I could taste something terrible in the back of my throat, I was really very drowsy at this point and had tried to swallow it. It wouldnt go down. So I got up and went the the bathroom and spit up a huge mouthful of just pure bright red blood. Drowsy, drugged up lonely me freaked out about this but couldn’t fight off my pain medication so I went in my room with a glass of water in my hand a tried to fight off the sleepiness. I awoke almost an hour later, clearly I had lost the battle for awareness to more of that unpleasant taste in my mouth. I went to the bathroom and spit up two more mouth fulls of bright red blood and puked some up that I must have swallowed in my sleep. I called the surgeons office at this point and talked to the doctor on call. He seemed very worried that I didn’t have anyone with me but since I was no longer currently bleeding he advised that I don’t to to the ER right away. He told me to lay low. Make sure I didn’t eat anything. Only drink water for the next 6-8 hours til to make sure that there was nothing else going on and not to take my pain meds, as they could knock me out and make me unaware of anymore bleeding. He called almost every 45 minutes til morning to make sure I was ok after that. My throat felt better by morning though. Much less swollen. Once I got the ok to attempt eating again and to take my beds I had the closes thing to a normal feeling throat and mouth I had had in 8 days. Of course that didn’t last and I’m back to nasty scabs and hard time swallowing even with my meds, but it was sure nice while it lasted. I’m still alone tonight but my sister is in town for Guard Drill and will be able to get here very quickly if I do have to call her again.. its nearly 5:30 and all I have to say is bring on tonight!


Salvador Daliv January 17, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Do you have a spam problem on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your
situation; we have created some nice methods and we
are looking to swap methods with other folks, please shoot
me an e-mail if interested.


Krystal February 7, 2014 at 11:19 pm

I had my tonsils out 2 days ago, the pain sucks, I thought the back of my mouth was infaction but there just scabs so im happy, im keeping a bag near by for spitting the musuc, eww gross, every 3 mins I have to spit.. im also dieing for a smoke but I have to wait till my scabs came off. it sucks , I never had one in 2 weeks :( I cant pick up my son, my doctor told don’t lift anything over 5 lbs, my son is almost 30 lbs, his 8 months


Carolyn February 9, 2014 at 3:10 am

I am 10 days post-op from my tonsillectomy and endoscopic sinus surgery. The only thing that I would like to add for those who are headed into surgery is to keep a spray bottle of water near you when you sleep or rest. Mine is a cheap one from Walmart or Target. It really hurts to swallow even water in the beginning. So instead, in the middle of the night when I woke up with a a super dry mouth and throat from breathing through my mouth while sleeping, I would spray a few squirts of water into my mouth and lips – that way you can hydrate without having to swallow.


organizations generally August 26, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Calling all cars, calling all cars, we’re ready to make a deal.


susie February 18, 2014 at 5:19 pm

I had my tonsils out on Feb 10th, after waking up from surgery, i had moderate pain in my throat, my post op recovery nurse gave me some pain meds, through iv,not sure what though, and she also told me that it will just take the edge off and not stop all the pain, so about 15min later she asked how was my pain, i told her the same, so she gives me another shot of pain med through iv, and walks away and says you already had quite a bit of pain med, i thought really lady you gave me two shots that is it… whatever, so i was taken to another room for recovery, i then had another nurse who was very nice and understanding, she brought me some liquid vicodin and that helped. About an hour later i was discharged to come home, feeling not to good, but the pain was bearable. Got home and grabbed the ice packs and followed at home recovery instructions.. pain was tolerable. and i must say the pain medication i am on is lortab 7.5/325 works well but it burns my throat, there is times i can’t stomach to take it b/c it’s just awful.. but i find the strength to take it. My uvula is swollen and makes it hard to sleep, b/c i feel like i am going to choke and i also feel like i can’t breathe, with it being swollen it makes it hard to drink water, i choke alot on my water, so i have to take small sips i find that taking a drink and tilting my chin down to my chest before i swallow does make it easier and i feel like i’m not going to choke.
day after surgery, i woke up with pain, but once i took medication i was feeling better, and this pattern went on for the next few days. My diet mostly consisted of ice water and jello.. been able to eat mashed potatoes with gravy pretty good, but as for anything else no, so i have been living on jello and water since the 10th.
days 2,3,4 was pretty much tolerable., tired eating some over cooked ramen noodles but it just wasn’t going to happen, also tried pancakes with syrup but they kept getting stuck on in my as i have said i just been doing the jello and water and mashed potatoes.
days 5 and 6 pain started to increase but with taking pain medication it was also relieved, by the end of the night on day 6 my ears started to bother me, layed on a heating pad whiched helped my ear pain, and i also found the hot showers helped with pain.. i tried using an icepack on my ears but that just didn’t work for me, i have read that alot people use icepacks on their ears when they get ear pain and if that works then great, but it just didn’t work for me. now the icepacks on my throat the first few days helped, but as my days passed they didn’t seem to help.
Day 7.. now this day was just pure misery for me, my right side of my throat and my right ear hurt, pain level was at a 9/10 for me all day, when taking my lortab it would help relieve the pain for about 90mins then pain would go right back up to 9/10 pain scale. i tried to sip on soup broth but that i can’t open my mouth very much and eating is becoming more of a hassle and not worth the pain..the pain feels like something is stabbing me in my throat just below where my right tonsil was and my ear pain felt like someone taking a razor and scrapping my ear all the way down through my throat. when i drink i feel like there is something stabbing my tongue, and yes also my tongue is painful on the back sides and under back. even trying to talk was painful and still is painful. i have gotten on the internet and looked tonsillectomy post op and everything that i have been reading is what i am going through that started on day 7, that was some comfort b/c i thought maybe there was something wrong b/c i am only having pain on my right side, but reading that others have the same issue, made me feel somewhat better knowing that others are going through the exact pain and it isn’t b/c of something going wrong.
Well today is day 8 of post op and so far my day is starting out the same as day 7 right side throat pain and ear pain. i am just tired of pain, i can’t handle pain that well… and i’m tired of drinking water, i have drank so much water since the day of my surgery then i have in my lifetime, i just want a ice cold mt.dew and cheeseburger and french fries, or a casey’s pizza. So with all this being said, Yes it is a painful surgery to go through, but when it’s all healed it will be worth it.


susie February 23, 2014 at 3:36 am

okay i am now on day 12 of tonsillectomy, and i must say there has been much improvement since then, don’t get me wrong i still have pain, but the pain isn’t as bad. The worst part of pain for me yet is still is waking up in the morning, so i take some pain medicine and within 10min the pain has reduced. I was able to eat a fried egg sandwich this morning, and that tasted wonderful, and for dinner i was able to eat some chinese food, i had green pepper steak, i of course throw out the green peppers, not fond of them anyways, so i cut up the steak and onions into small bite size pieces like the rice, and i did have some slight pain from trying to swallow and at times it would get stuck in the back of my throat, but taking a few drinks of water helped that issue. ear pain can still hurt pretty good at times, i also chew gum for that as well, yes chewing gum helps relieve the ear pain. but i just wanted to say, hang in there if you are on the beginning of your tonsillectomy, it will get better, i know it doesn’t seem like it now, but it will, and for those of you who have not had a tonsillectomy done yet, but you are suppose to or going to, yes it will be painful, but you can do it. if i can do this, then you can to.. i can not handle pain at all, but as long as you follow your post op instructions and keep ice on your neck for first few days or til how long you feel you need it, and keep on top of your pain medicine, then you too will do just fine and make it through your tonsillectomy. goodluck to all, and hope you all feel better.


Sharron February 23, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Susie, it appears we had our surgery on the same date. I’m curios as to how you are doing now???? I went through pretty much the same thing you went through. However I still feel pain when I swallow. I still have that “taste” in my mouth when I swallow. That alone make me not want to eat. I have yet to eat any of the food I was so craving because of this taste. However, compared to the way I was feeling, I feel 100% better. If you happen to read this please give me an update.


Sharron February 23, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Hi Guys!!!!
I am currently on day 13 of my tonsillectomy. I must say the pain is a lot better than in the beginning. I will say I’m curious abut the scabs. I see some white spots in the back. I can eat pretty much what I want to. However food does not taste the same to me. I hope this goes away soon. I have to admit that is has gotten better over the past few days. At first it was so bad ( the taste) that I could not eat anything. I still fell some pain. I gives me pleasure to get on a site such as this and see that everyone is here for one another. I will also like to add that my pain as been just the same as everyone else. I had a break done on day 6-7, the point I was in pain……. Yes I’m a wuss. As I look back is was awful pain and I’m the mother of 3. But it will get better day by day. I have recently stopped taking all pain meds, just because it makes me sleep a lot and I feel as if I’m missing out. I did wake with some pain this morning. However with a couple of sips of water, it went right away. I will like to give a bit of advise. Water will become your best friend. So drink plenty of if. I would like to wish you all a speedy recovery.


susie February 24, 2014 at 5:22 am

sharon, i feel better now then what i did a week ago, the only thing that really hasn’t improved much is the pain, but i will say the pain isn’t as severe as the first few days, i have alot of pain on my tongue, the back of tongue and the sides of the tongue, my scabs are still there, although i think they are starting to come off, i did notice there is some pink on the right side, last night was a really bad night for me, the pain increased in both throat and ear, i had to lay on a heating pad, i just wanted to cry, i had a hard time getting the pain under control, my doctor did say i can take advil in between my lortab, but really i don’t think it makes a difference. I am still having pain and trouble swallowing, but if i take my lortab 20min before i eat it isn’t as bad. i really can’t taste much either, and that alone makes you not want to eat it all, just a few bites to get something in your stomach. I’m still not sleeping well, i had to go back to work today, big mistake, my nurse told me friday that it’s probably too soon for me to go back to work, b/c i’m still have pain that goes up and down on pain scale. and i think she is right, i have been debating on calling the office tomorrow and asking for an excuse to get a few more days off, i work in retail and being on my feet all day, going non stop, and the talking i have to do, i was at work for two hours and the pain started increasing, and by the time i clocked out and got home this afternoon, i was hurting really bad my pain level was probably at 7/8, and that was at 3pm, and it’s now 10pm and i am just now getting my pain to a bearable level. and also these last two days i have been having a burning sensation in my throat and ears.. still mainly my right side, my left is just now starting to bother me, but not enough to make me want to take meds for it.. just my right side. i also can not drink anything ice cold, the ice cold hurts my throat, it has to be cool or room temp, unlike my first week it felt good on my throat when my water was icecold. and i feel like something is stabbing me when i drink on my right side, and it seems to be in the same spot everytime, almost like there is a toothpick stuck in there. so i will repost in a few days on my progress… let me know how you are coming along with yours.. just keep telling yourself it will get better… that’s what i have to do, b/c i can not handle pain at all… and i can’t wait for the day when i can drink a mt. dew with out it burning the heck out of my tongue and throat… and i also hope you have a speedy recovery.


susie February 24, 2014 at 6:24 am

also i have been having a lot of ringing in my ears, especially my right ear… does anyone else have that issue?


soph April 14, 2014 at 1:30 pm

omg yesss i have the worst ear ringing/ pulsing sound espesh at night, i wake up thinking someones having a party! im on day 11 right now and im sorta worried if my scabs have or havent come off yet, im actually too scared to open my mouth too wide to see back there coz it sorta starts to create a tearing feeling in my throat. anyway i gota chill and not panic coz my recovery is going well


sharron February 24, 2014 at 1:23 pm

It seems as if you are describing what I am going through, exactly. I still a small amount of scabs but not as much. I too can not drink anything ice cold. This is surprising to me because as you explained It used to feel good. I long for the day when I can have and TASTE a slice of pizza with an ice cold drink. However it has gotten better than before. I will keep you posted as well. If there is anyone else out there that is 13 days + in post-op please share what will this week be like for me. Everyone stay strong and a speedy recovery


Lawanda April 22, 2014 at 4:21 am

I had my tonsils removed on April 1, 2014. I found that chewing gum helped with the ear discomfort (pressure and pain in the ears and tongue). Having a humidifier helped with the dryness. I would keep the humidifier on while sleeping.


music online magazines March 3, 2014 at 10:43 am

I was extremely pleased to uncover this page. I need to to thank you
for your time due to this fantastic read!!
I definitely appreciated every little bit of it and I have you saved as
a favorite to see new stuff in your web site.


claire March 10, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Not as bad as its made out to be. Just take your Meds like clockwork and eat and drink things that sooth your throat. You can also eat after you’ve taken your Meds when it’s less painful(that’s when is easy toast or something with a rougher texture. ) Enjoy the time sleeping late, staying in your pjs and having “you” time. The most important thing is to stay positive throughout the healing process.


claire March 10, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Oh and I find hot water with honey is super soothing! If you can get rooibos tea with honey its a miracle!


Talor March 17, 2014 at 1:20 am

I had my tonsils removed on March 5th. I’m 25 and I am on day 11. Oh man is the pain unbearable. The first few days after surgery were a breeze. I was able to eat soft goods like beans and rice mashed in beef broth. At day 6 the pain started to spike. It’s not even so much pain in my throat it’s my ears and jaw pain. I have this awful burning sensation in my jaw and it hurts so bad to swallow. I’ve lost 11 lbs since surgery because I have stopped eating. Eating hurts and irritates my throat so I stopped because I’d rather starve than swallow food and have my throat be irritated. I’ve been drinking lots of water and eating Popsicles. I feel that the coldness helps soothe but at times brings on the stinging. I’ve never felt this bad ever. I was feeling ok two days ago thinking that I was finally healing and then that same night the pain increased to a level where all I did was cry. I also have a very sore tongue and I notice my pain gets worse at night when I try to sleep. My meds are to be taken every 4 hours but and 3.5 hours I’m taking them again just to stay ahead before the pain breaks thru. I have stopped talking because opening my mouth hurts my jaw so now I’m hardly communicating with anyone. I just pray that today be my last day of this awful pain and that the healing process begins. When they said the scabs falling off was the worse part they weren’t lying… I can’t wait for this to be over. I am so hungry and I just want to be pain free! Good luck to all of you having it done.


torrent March 19, 2014 at 10:08 pm

It is actually a nice and helpful piece of info. I’m happy
that you shared this helpful information with us.

Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for


Tasha March 30, 2014 at 7:22 am

Hi everyone. I’m 38 and I just had my surgery on the 24th. I’m so glad to see some of the symptoms I’m experiencing you guys have experienced too. So I woke up this morning not feeling much pain but it’s still uncomfortable to talk and swallow. My biggest problem today (6th day) is feeling sick because I’m so hungry and tired. My diet since surgery has consisted of popsicles, water, gum, broth and a milkshake. I had to cut the milkshake out because I had too much mucus afterwards. The past 2 nights I’ve had trouble staying asleep after taking my pain meds. I have also had trouble on days 3-5 with feeling like im going to choke when taking my meds or drinking. VERY SCARY feeling!!! I don’t know if anyone has experienced this but sometimes it feels as the liquids are going to come out my nose. In 6 days I’ve lost 6.5lbs and I feel so drained. I’m sure I still have bad days to come but I’m so ready to be healed. Thanks for sharing!!


Audrey Flaherty March 30, 2014 at 4:04 pm

What a great tips for the tonsillectomy recovery! I’m really happy to read your well written tips and learn many new things and that very important for me. Thanks for sharing with us!


Alda April 6, 2014 at 11:17 pm

I’m gone to convey my little brother, that he should also visit this website on regular basis
to take updated from newest reports.


Amy April 8, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I am 36 year old registered nurse, and just had my tonsils out 5 days ago. Right after surgery the pain wasn’t bad. Pain increased as the days went on. the fourth morning, blood started gushing out of my mouth and I passed out. An ambulance took me to the ER, where they gave me fluids and pain medicine. The bleeding stopped on its own. My advice is to stay on top of your medication!!! I alternate Percocet and Motrin every two hours, and it does a pretty good job. Also, keep your throat moist!!! I know it hurts to drink water, but you need to. The more wet your throat is, the better it feels. Set your alarm to take your meds and drink water. Good luck:)


Sammi Saler April 23, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Hi Everyone. I’m Samantha. I am having my tonsils removed on Friday. Yikes I am freaking out a bit…Gonna be totally honest lol. Anyways, my right tonsil is very enlarged so my doctor is removing both and sending them for biopsy. I also have a hard lump under my right ear below jaw bone (pea size). So I am pretty concerned whats going on. It’s been a waiting game. So I am out of work for a week. Hoping that I can come back that soon, but reading some posts it seems like that might not be a good idea haha. Everyone is different and just gotta play it by ear (i will probably want to rip my ears off haha!) Well thank you to all who posted their journey through this surgery and I will follow up and let everyone know my experience next week! Good luck and God Bless :) Hopes for a quick recovery to all. xoxoxo


Beth May 14, 2014 at 10:43 am

Hi all,
Had tonsils out 2 days ago. Was kept in overnight as reacted to anaesthetic. Came home last night and slept for 12 hours! (alarm woke me every 4 hrs to take pain meds). Woke up this morning and threw up twice :{
pain is bearable at the min, but I think the sickness might be because I was taking ibuprofen and paracetamol in the night on an empty stomach..? or its a reaction to the anaesthetic? who knows. But I feel pretty yuk.. My Mum is stopping with me but neither of us really know what to expect. I’m guessing vomiting is normal and just panic if I throw up fresh blood yeah?
Going to try and eat again in an hour or so, then hopefully I can take pain meds and keep them down this time.. Only taking ibuprofen lysine and paracetamol…the codeine made me sick..
Thanks for this website. refreshingly informative and all written well!


Suzanne May 16, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I’m 49 and had my tonsils out 7 days ago. While the first couple of days were very uncomfortable, it was def manageable since I was expecting much worse! What saved me was my husband feeding me ice chips from the moment I returned from the recovery room, sticking to the medication schedule (even/especially the overnights) and sipping enough water to go to the bathroom every hour to hour and a half. As long as I was awake I had an ice-cold glass of water in my hands. Day 2 was Mother’s Day brunch, so from there on I slowly ate pudding, ice-cream, eggs, applesauce, and chicken soup once I started feeling hungry. After 4 days I stopped the pain meds (except for bed time when everything always feels worse), still drinking lots of water, get tired if out and about for a couple hours. So worth it, not all that bad, better every day!


denise May 20, 2014 at 3:00 am

I’m on day 6 and my biggest problem is pain in my jaw tounge teeth and gums my jaw area is staying swollen hasanyone else had this problem ? I’m a 37 year old insulin dependent diabetic I am eating chicken noodle cream of mushroom or cream chicken and pudding and drinking lots of water and insure . I called my dr he says is normal and I’m nervous becouse I see that pain gets worse after day 7


Candace May 30, 2014 at 8:22 pm

I had my tonsils removed on the 28th and am now on day 3. The first two days were very easy and I was able to eat a lot of things but when I tried to go to bed after the second day I couldn’t get comfortable and the pain meds weren’t helping. The next day (today) I woke up with a little pain but not much. As the hours have gone by, it has gotten worse. I can’t swallow anything today not even water and I keep drooling on myself. Is this normal?


shante May 31, 2014 at 7:16 am

I am freaking out. I have to have tonsils out and scheduled for June 20th and I am reading all your posts and I’m really freaking out. I mean I only have chronic sore throat and sometimes cough up tonsil stones but maybe I can live with that, cause I really don’t do pain at all. Like this sore throat has been about to kill me. I am reading and laughing at some of the comments cause one lady was a registered nurse and passed out when she saw blood. One guy said his pain was 30 out of 10. Oh I’m so scared, what should I do.


Marie August 4, 2014 at 12:12 am

Well.. I am curious as to what you decided to do. Did you continue with the surgery? I was just told Friday that I need to have the tonsils and the Uvula removed but have not scheduled it yet. These posts are kind of freaking me out a bit too but with my Uvula laying on top of my tongue, it keeps my taste buds swollen and I always feel like I have something stuck in my throat. Not sure I want to live the rest of my life with that sensation. So for me, it’s a matter of short term vs life long.


click here June 7, 2014 at 8:09 am

Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website? I’m getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.


Klhone June 9, 2014 at 6:24 am

Yes. This is the most evilest surgery Ive ever had in my entire life. Im on Day 4 post op and I still can eat anything. Im so famished, I almost fainted twice when I went out to run an errand. Sleep has gotten better and the worst part of it all, is not the very sore and enlarged Uvula and cut up and swollen tongue, Its the Mucous that lives in the back of my throat that I have to spit out every 2 minutes, yes every 2 minutes. I keep an empty water bottle to spit, and its an all day process. I empty when full. I cant eat anything, but force myself to swallow the broth of the soup. anything else is way to thick and icecream is too darn cold. I see the scab, but mine has not fallen, On top of that, I think i had a sinus infection, so the drainage is horrible. I m so Hungry. YUCK YUCK and YUCK.


Kaspar July 2, 2014 at 1:09 am

I am on my day 6 now, and I’m not suffering from that much pain to be honest, I haven’t taken anything for the pain since the same day as I had the surgery. What I do have is a lot of mucus, my mouth gets filled in a few seconds, so I’m pretty much spitting all the time. My tongue is also almost completely yellow. Swallowing and eating still hurts quite a bit, but it’s not unbearable (in my case).

I’ve tried several things when trying to fall a sleep, and the only thing that works for me is keeping my mouth open, doesn’t have to be that much, until I fall asleep. To prevent the mucus from filing up my mouth. Probably not the best thing to do, because it dries up my mouth pretty bad. But it really works :)


Stacey July 4, 2014 at 6:46 pm

I’m on day 4. I’m pretty nervous for what comes next. This hasn’t been easy. The pain is manageable if you stay on top of taking meds every 4 hours. I slept through my alarm last night and woke up surrounded by sweat from the pain. I’ve not been taking the narcotics prescribed- I’ve been using doterra essential oils instead. So far they have been working and I’m hoping they lead to a faster recovery. I don’t have a high pain tolerance so I’m surprised that I haven’t caved and started on the Vicodin but I honestly haven’t needed it since I’ve been good about taking the oils at regular intervals (except last night). I’m too afraid of the side effects that come with the drugs- vomiting sounds like I would wish for death. The jaw and ear pain is bad. The swollen tongue is bad. The throat feels a lot like strep. I had infected tonsils for 7 years so with the 35 cases of strep and tonsillitis during that time the throat is not what’s bothered me the most- don’t get me wrong- it’s been bad. I’m just used to it. I’m having my husband buy me a humidifier today cause the dryness is miserable. Apple juice Popsicles and mashed sweet potatoes are my lifeline right now. I sure hope I stop getting sick all the time cause otherwise this was so bit worth it!


Kimberly July 5, 2014 at 1:47 am

I am 36 and had a tonsillectomy/uvulopalatopharyngoplasty on Monday, June 30, 2014. I was honestly terrified after hearing so many horror stories. For me, this has been VERY manageable. From the time I woke up in recovery to this very second, I always have ice cubes, ice water and iced apple juice in a cup in my hand. I drink ALOT!! I find it very soothing and numbing. I have also taken my percocet every four hours on the dot, day and night! And am at half the dose I started at. I’ve had some referred ear pain but NOTHING close to unbearable. I have had some applesauce and jello. Some yogurt but I’ve been careful due to mucous problems. I know I do have a high pain tolerance but feel I have been blessed to have had it gone so smoothly. I know the worst could still come but for all of those dreading it, take it a day at a time. Listen to your body and find strengthen in others. There is a lot of good advice here! Here’s to happy, healthy throats! :). Happy 4th of July!


Marie August 4, 2014 at 12:18 am

Well, I have a question for you :) I was recently told that I need the Uvula removed and also a tonsillectomy. I expect pain, I have had 7 surgeries in my 44 years and as with any surgery, there IS going to be pain. I get it. My concern is having the uvula removed. I have heard some horror stories regarding the surgery. I have been told that its difficult to form speech when the uvula is gone, that food comes up from the nasal passages, etc… I just am not liking that info @ all. Did you have any of this happen to you?


Brian July 8, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I’m 31 and had my tonsils, uvula, & anenoids removed on July 3rd. The mucus and problems drinking have been a shock to my system. I have also had some issues with burping since now I am actually taking in oxygen. The pain was severely bad the past two nights, but does feel slightly better now. I am now just waiting for the ‘scab days.’ Ehh. I also have TMJ so the pressure on my ears and jaw have not been fun at all.

I know it is definitely worth it in the end. Good luck to everyone and just as a side note, St. Blaise is the patron saint for throat issues :).

My recommendations would be to get a lot of the ice pops and those ‘Muscle Milk’ drinks. They are dairy free and have a ton of protein which may ease the hunger and upset stomach problems.


Hamtara July 12, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I’m 25 and it has already been 31 days after my tonsillectomy but I still have these nasty white scabs on the back left side of my throat… I wonder when will these be completely fall-off. Is there anyone of you who experience the same? And do you have any suggestion how to have these removed? Thanks!


Amanda August 25, 2014 at 12:08 am

I got my tonsils removed on the 20th of August, so I’m 4 day post surgery. I went into surgery knowing it was going to be painful, but I never expected it to be this bad. I thought I had a decent tolerance for pain, but these last four days have been unbearable. I haven’t ate anything, aside from slush, or a few bites of soup broth.. Cause other than that, it hurts way too much. And water has become my best friend. I’ve never drank this much water in my whole entire life. I’m only 22, so I figured the recovery wouldn’t be that bad…. But I was wrong… Today (08/24/14) my right foot has swelled up… I didn’t even think that was possible…


Andrea August 25, 2014 at 4:26 am

I had my tonsils removed on August 19th, so I am 6 days post surgery. I am 24 and I thought the pain was going to be horrible, especially after researching and reading these online forums. So far my pain level has not been above a 4/10, maybe 5/10 on surgery day. I’ve been pretty talkative and functional and have been able to study for my Board exams even while taking the hydrocodone-apap. I took the narcotics more often for the first 2 days, but they made me itchy and constipated, so I barely take them now. My ENT surgeon also said it was imperative that I take Celebrex twice a day because it is the best for inflammation. I am not a doctor yet, but this makes zero sense to me since most doctors advise against the use of any NSAIDs for a few weeks post surgery because of bleeding AND it takes like a month to actually start working.. Hmm. Anyways, I only bought a week’s supply since it isn’t covered by insurance and it’s expensive as sh*t, so I’ll be off that soon.

I don’t know if I have a high pain tolerance, but this has been a breeze compared to the bouts of strep throat I’ve dealt with since I was a kid. I had some bleeding on day 4 and made the decision to go to the ER, which was unnecessary, but better safe than sorry I guess! I do have some ear pain, but it’s not unbearable by any means. I normally drink a ton of water, so I’ve been pretty good at keeping up with my normal habits. I keep a water bottle with me at all times and any time I get up, I refill it.

As far as foods go I stuck with popsicles, jello, pudding, ice cream, and Lipton noodle soup (the best!) on the first day. I also froze some Gatorade in ice cube trays and blended them up and made a nice slushy, which is good if you’re having issues staying hydrated. On day 2 , I had the same assortment of foods along with a banana and some macaroni and cheese and didn’t have any problems. I feel much better when I eat real foods. Today I actually had some mini soft shell cheese quesadillas. The only foods I had issues with in the beginning were plain Greek yogurt, which I ate along with probiotic capsules to help with the constipation side effects of the narcotics, and a fruit smoothie. I think the raspberries or blueberries were too tart and that slightly bothered my throat. Besides that, no other issues with food and no problems with nausea or not being able to sleep at night.

From what I’ve read, some people say the pain gets worse on days 5-11, but so far I feel like mine has been decreasing. Hopefully it stays this way! The best advice I can give is stay hydrated and don’t freak yourself out like I did by assuming you will have a horrible experience based on other people. Everyone heals differently! I would have this surgery done a million times over before dealing with strep throat, antibiotics, and all that jazz. Good luck! :)


Shakir August 28, 2014 at 2:59 am

Hi guys,
My turn for my story. Anyway I am 28 and I had my tonsillectomy on the 20th August, I am 9 days post op.

Days 1-4, there was pain which progressed significantly by day 4 but it was manageable. I was able to eat relatively normal foods for the 1st 2 days, and was managing well on Co-Codamol although I was taking twice what I should have been taking (I was taking 2 pills 8 times a day where I should have been taking 2 pills 4 times a day). But that all changed on day 5.

I woke up at 5am in excruciating pain, so much pain in my neck, throat, ears and even my teeth. I couldn’t swallow anything, not even a sip of water to take my meds which I did eventually with great difficulty and in great pain. I went to see my GP that morning who prescribed me stronger strength Co-Codamol, a course of Penicillin and an anaesthetic mouth wash which made absolutely no difference at all.

The pain I went through that day I can only describe as 20 on a scale of 1-10. And as a grown man I have never cried so much in my life, I was in complete and utter agony.

I went to my hospitals A&E department that evening because I was sure there was something wrong, I was not expecting the pain to be so much. I told the doctor the trouble I was having with the pain killers and he prescribed me some Tramadol for the pain.

I am now on day 9, and although the Tramadol has helped with the general pain I am still unable to eat anything, and swallow water or my meds but only with great difficulty and in severe pain. Eating even small amounts of food or water actually drives me to tears – it is that bad.

I still see the white scabbing on the back of my throat and it seems like none of this has come off and like many others I get a lot of mucus in my mouth and when I am asleep it just dribbles onto my pillow covers and my bed which is gross.

I really hope it the pain doesn’t last much longer because I do just want to be able to eat normally and have the energy to go out and do things. At the moment I am just constantly in bed I am guessing as a result of the Tramadol.

God bless my mum who has been my rock through all of this, rubbing my back and chest because for some reason it does actually help when I am eating or drinking.

Anyway that is my story, feel free to ask any questions and to those of you who have had it done, on what day post op do you feel back to normal, like you can eat and drink without any pain?


Jessica August 30, 2014 at 10:52 am

My feyanca is 31 had his remov d we don’t recomand it to any one


Danielle B September 11, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Hey all i had my surgery done for my tonsils getting removed on sept 4th 2014 and i am 29 soon to be 30 the first few days were ok but when it came to the 2nd and 3rd days after surgery i had to go to the emergency room due to being dehydrated and not able to swallow i do recommend that you drink as much fluids as u can and take your meds the doc gave you. then the 4th to now which is my 7th day i am doing better then i was still taking the meds like i am supossed to be and drinking as much as i can and since it being the 7th day my throat just feels really sore and feels like there are sores everywhere on my tongue but just wanted to share this with everyone


Mellanie September 12, 2014 at 3:58 am

I’m 27 years old and had both my tonsils and adenoids removed due to tonsil stones. Although my primary care physician said and I quote “I’ve seen worse” (implying he didnt think I should do it), my ENT specializes in this sort of thing and he felt it would be a wise choice. I knew it had to be done when he said it could get worse as I got older. So I had my tonsils and adenoids removed 10 days ago. Day 1 was alright cause I didn’t get any nausea from the anesthesia. Not saying it wasn’t painful to swallow, but no nausea is a big help! So Days 2-5 was painful but hydrocodone helped with that. I also found using an ice pack, and crushing my meds( mixed with cranberry juice to reduce chalky taste) to be helpful. Oh and I ended up taking medication to prevent nausea because of the side effects from the hydrocodone. Being stuck in the house all day was making me feel worse so I took short walks after day 4. I was waking up every 15-30 minutes to drink water or suck on ice chips. I also took hot showers because the humidity would help ease the pain. Sleeping on a recliner was the best thing I could’ve done ; every time I would lay flat, I’d swear I was swallowing my uvula, my tongue, my teeth, you name it! I just couldn’t breathe! It wasn’t until day 5 that I could actually eat, even though I still couldn’t enjoy the food. I ate boiled eggs, jello, pudding, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese. I even tried the soft part of bread. Yes, I ate. But it was a VERY limited amount of food. There’s only so much pain a person could handle. Days 6 and 7 the pain was a little bit more tolerable and I slept more through the night despite some ear pain ( mine wasn’t as bad as some people mentioned) . Sometimes eating cold food or drinking cold fluids would sting my throat, which made me think the scabs were starting to come off but I’m not sure. Anything with sugar, acid, or salt was pretty painful so try avoiding those types of foods. Day 8 was by far the worst for me. I was still taking my medications and could hardly eat because everything stung my throat so I became extremely fatigued and nauseated. I even lost color to my face! I decided to try a humidifier that night and I think it was pretty helpful. I continued to walk after meals to help with the nausea from the medications and drank Gatorade for hydration but the nausea was BAD. I almost took myself to the hospital because of it. Later on day 9, I went a few hours without any pain So I ate an ice cream Sunday thinking my throat would handle it, but boy was I wrong. It gave me lots of sharp pains and I woke up with phlem that was almost impossible to get rid of the next day. Day 8 was actually when I starting gagging because I could feel the scabs hanging in the back of my throat. I spit up some of them with some phlem. YUCK. I thought the bad part was over but gagging because of the scabs was just it for me. If I would’ve known I would’ve been nauseous most of the time and getting gagged by scabs, I may have thought more about taking this surgery! Anyway, the ENT put me on steroids to help the swelling and I guess to make it heal faster.

Today, I ran out of anti nausea pills so I took one of my moms reglan pills after confirming with the ENT , and it felt like a bomb was dropped in my stomach. It was another BAD IDEA. The Good news is that I made it to my appointment regardless of my stomach issues and was told by my ENT that everything was going great, and I could eat anything I want except for any sharp foods that could scratch my throat , like chips. The bad news is that he told me I have one more week to get gagged by scabs! Ughh. Good luck to everyone who is taking this surgery or is going through it. I hope it’s all worth it.


chuck September 15, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Tonsillectomy Was GREAT!

No, seriously, it didn’t hurt more than a typical sore throat and I was up on my feet and doing stuff the day after surgery. I don’t mean to come on here to brag about how pain tolerant I am. I just wanted to let folks know that it can sometimes be relatively pain-free. If someone’s considering it as an adult, they shouldn’t be scared off by all of the horror stories – because (at least in my case) that doesn’t always happen.

I took the tylenol with codeine the doc prescribed that first night so I could sleep.
But I didn’t take any meds after that first night since I didn’t feel much of anything unless I was swallowing.
And even then it didn’t feel any worse than a normal sore throat.

So I never took any more of the prescribed meds (wasted my money, I guess).
And I was fine and puttering around the house, bored, the day after surgery.
The only bad part was being told to eat cold mush and not to do anything.

I waited the full 2 weeks to go back to work in an office job but I felt like I could’ve gone back the day after surgery if I just kept ice water handy.

I don’t know if I just got lucky or what.
Maybe I was using way more ice water than some of these other folks – who knows?
From the moment I woke up in post-op, I was CONSTANTLY drinking ice-filled drinks then sucking on the ice chips. I don’t think I ever had a moment where I wasn’t slurping something cold. (aside from sleeping)
Maybe that helped?

Maybe it’s mental.
I never thought – going into it – that it was going to be a big deal.
I just assumed it would hurt a little and I’d take some pain pills and it wouldn’t hurt too bad.
So I went into it thinking if it hurt a bit – oh well, it’ll be over in a couple of weeks and I’ll forget all about it.
I didn’t get myself all nervous and afraid.
And it went beautifully – just annoying.
So maybe that’s part of it, too.
Who knows?

Good luck.


Lyndsey Flora September 22, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I’m so surprised that no one mentioned sneezing. I’m on day 10 of recovery and I sneezed for the first time yesterday..worst pain EVER.


Randy September 22, 2014 at 1:46 pm

My story is back on page 33, but I’d like to comment here that those who had little discomfort must’ve had a less radical surgery than others here. In my case, my doctor suspected cancer (which was correct … I’m fine now after 35 days of radiation/chemo) so he did what he termed an “aggressive surgery,” and it was excruciatingly painful for several days, meds or no meds. Did the fact that it was “aggressive” make it hurt more? I don’t know, but if your experience is not much different than a sore throat, then be glad.


Leave a Comment